Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Zara Love Hate Relationship

My husband loves Zara the clothing store, not so much for the cheap prices and European design but firstly for the fit. For an American man he is unusual since he is very slim and just about 5'8", he says anyway, I'm 5'8" and I'm taller but that's not the point in this post(😉).

Zara clothes fit him perfectly or closer than any other brand without alterations, which is huge no pun intended and the style of Zara is of the moment Euro-Cool. The other day he said he was going to stop by the south beach location so I went online picked out some tops that looked cute at a price tag of between 39.00-59.00 each and sent the pictures to his iPhone with size specifications. He came back with the three tops in the sizes I asked (I just learned a new way of shopping.... In Love) and all three fit perfectly and in person were cuter than online, the fabrics felt expensive and the style's were very modern. My husbands choices for himself had the same impact, then I began to wonder, what kind of fabric are these clothes made with, and how long will they really last being washed time after time. Do you dry clean them to ensure they will last, they're so cheap does it matter, maybe I would buy that do it yourself dry cleaner for the dryer, Dryel I think it's called.

 In any case I was so excited by my new tops that two weeks later when I was in the area of Zara I made time for a pit stop to check out their New South Beach location. Walking in the front door I felt like I had found a secret fashion destination in Europe, it's been close to thirty years since I lived in Paris but this store and it's fashion sense reminded me of stores I frequented back then, oh the memories. Back on subject here I danced around the store with armloads of goods piled high until my arms couldn't bear the weight and I aimed for the dressing room with a giddiness I haven't felt in years. The sweet attendant showed me my room and inside I was about to try on and soon own all the seasons must haves for a fraction of the price, oh I couldn't wait! One item after another was put back on the hanger for mostly fit issues, but I still had high hopes, so I did another round of the store this time with a keener eye than the first light hearted attempt. An hour later standing alone in my fitting room with not one garment, I began to think I could have probably chosen five or six items priced between 20.00 to 89.00 each but I kept finding fault with each one, was I being too hard on this inexpensive fashion brand, should I have adverted my eyes to jeans that didn't give my butt the boost I'm used to, the t shirts that didn't fit just right and don't hug the curves I want to hide, the white men's inspired shirt that had a tad too much starch sending the collar and cuffs alarmingly straight, should I have ignored the cool sweat pants whose crouch was too baggy and legs were too tight? 
In hindsight I should have grabbed a few of their spaghetti strap t shirts great for under jackets blouses, ect, a pair of the jeans were pretty awesome if a bit tight on my muscular calfs, I probably could have taken the slight tension for fashion, or could I have? I like any other women on the planet like a good deal and Loves a great deal, which for me is to find a fabulously made garment at half the price or more, that kind of find will make my day! I still like Zara don't get me wrong but I won't ever fill my closet entirely with the brand, a few pieces here and there still give me that Giddy feeling of the secret store I found with cheap prices but won't make me end up feeling I'm wearing cheap clothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment