Saturday, May 10, 2014

What Mothers Day Means To Me


Mothers Day to me means that I spend a day or portion of one devoted to appreciating my mom, who did an amazing job of raising me, my brother and sister.  As a divorced woman in rural Connecticut in the late 1970's she was not the norm at all, especially in our conservative Presbetarian Church community, I remember feeling completely ashamed in junior high school and tried my best to hide the fact that my parents were divorcing. It would only be a few short years later that divorce was almost de riguer in rural communities in the US.

According to enrichment journal on the divorce rate in America:

  • The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%
  • The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%
  • The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%

My mother dived into the workforce a place unfamiliar to this self proclaimed Stay At Home Mom who Loved her position as our compassionate, and loving caretaker. She ending up landing herself a position at a Credit a Union and worked her way up as far as she could until she was offered a position a few years later at a nearby Engineering company that trained her on early 1980's computers.
Looking back now knowing my mom much better I know she was terrified, you see my mom wasn't the outgoing type, she was always liked but very shy, almost painfully shy in social and unfamiliar situations.
Thinking about what she did for us, I'm so grateful and appreciative, and imagining the things that bothered me in my teens and twenties, not having this or that, what she did or didn't do or say, now just seems petty and absolutely Trivial!
Why does it take so long to appreciate what our parents or parent did for us and do some of  us ungrateful children ever fully, or even partially realize it? Probably not, so on Mothers Day this year 2014 I'm going to take some time to remember what my Mother did for me and my siblings, and also try and imagine some of the things she did that I may have foregotten and just needed a Special day to remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment